Keywords

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RhodEvans
    Participant

Hi – first post to this forum. I’m particularly interested (as some others) in the use of RP as a DAM (as well as editing of course). I have tried every DAM on the market and they all fail in one way or another. The best I’ve found so far is ‘Photo Supreme’ but it is still a bit clunky and seems more like Beta software sometimes (though it can do everything I want). I understand from what I’ve read that the use of keywords in RP is problematic because of limitations with the Photo Library. Are there any plans with future versions of RP to include keywording, because that to me is one of the essential elements of a DAM (if not the most important). I think what you’ve done with RP is amazing by the way and I will continue to use it for editing, but keywording would be a killer addition!
    Thanks
    Rhod
    p.s. Is there a ‘roadmap’ for RP?

RhodEvans
    Participant

Personally I would be happy even if the keywords could not be written back to the photos library but were stored separately (as with photo edits) as I’d like to move away from Photos altogether if possible.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Yes, I would like to add keyword support, but that’s currently impossible with the Photos library. Apple does not provide 3rd parties with any way to read, modify, or create keywords. I have made a formal request — maybe in the next OS. Don’t really know though.

There is no formal roadmap. I have a very large list of features and fixes that I review when preparing a release. I don’t publish anything because it changes a lot because of a) customer input b) new technologies Apple creates and c) how far behind I am 🙂

My goal is to move from large, infrequent releases to smaller, frequent releases.

In the case of keywords, there is no point even putting it on a roadmap because I can’t write the feature until Apple adds APIs to allow it.

RhodEvans
    Participant

Thanks for the response Nik. Let’s hope that in the future Apple adds APIs to allow the use of keywords. In the meantime I’ll continue to be a firm supporter of Raw Power as I have been since Raw Power 1 was in beta. All the best, Rhod

Catas
    Participant

Hi Nik
    I understand that this is not possible in Photos library, but wouldn’t it be possible keywording in File browser?
    Also could we make virtual albums in File.
    Let’s say that I have a folder in finder whatever, files, called Camera name, and I’d like to create virtual albums from that folder with pictures by let say Years or Landscape etc.
    I would love to have an workflow in file browser where only the edited images to be sent in Photos library.
    Thank you.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Yes, keywords and other things are certainly possible in the File Browser. it’s something I have been thinking about it, but other features have taken precedence.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.